Wednesday, March 4, 2015

February 16, 2015

Hi Sister Mother of an Elder Secretary!

That was a mouthful.  Love you Mom and hope that all is well.  I'm doing really great!  This week was really good.  I'm so happy because we had 3 investigators come to church and they are progressing to be baptized!  Two of them are references from some eternal investigators we have and the other is a Sister we found by contacting this week.  The Lord really is helping us to progress.  Since I've gotten here, every day we have been asking the Lord to put someone in our path who would progress and accept a baptismal date and come to church on Sunday.  Even though we didn't have new investigators every day we were able to see that the Lord put someone in our path each week that came to church and is progressing.  He is helping us to achieve our goal of baptizing at least one person every week.  I know that we are going to get there!  Ok so all the missionaries in the mission that don't speak English as a native language have the opportunity to take an English exam at the end of their mission to become a certified English speaker.  So about a couple week before the change ends I set up all the exams and get them ready to take their tests.  Well I sure try to be a big help.  It's really a great opportunity that I have to be able to help.  I'm glad Craig's cancer is stag 3.  I will keep them all in my prayers!  Tell Craig I love him and that he is awesome!  Also Kim and Aliya.  One thing that has helped me is to have an eternal perspective.  We can get so focused and zoned in on the here and now and a lot of times that's not too good because we are limiting ourselves and what we can become.  Keep an eternal perspective and it will help you cope with things better and you will be able to be a lot happier!  It's really helped me!  Here's the answers to your questions for Youth Conference:
1.  I prepared to go on a mission by doing the basics, reading my scriptures, praying, going to church and attending the temple.  I also worked on strengthening my relationship with Heavenly Father even more because that is the most important thing.  You can't fully prepare for everything on the mission but the most important thing to have before going out is to be converted to Christ and our Father in Heaven and continually going through that process of conversion because it lasts a lifetime.
2.  The reason I'm here on my mission is simply because I love my Heavenly Father.  I feel that after all the Savior and Father have done for me I want to give something back in return.  I'm by no means the best missionary, but I'm here trying because I love Heavenly Father and I want to please him.
3.  Well here in Mexico there are a lot of traditions for example: With almost every meal here they eat corn tortillas.  Also playing soccer is really big here.  Every year at around the 6 of January they celebrate the day of the Magi.  Which is when the wise men got to Christ.  They have a huge pastry shaped like a big donut and it has plastic dolls inside and if in your piece you get one of the dolls then you have to bring tamales to everyone on February 2.  In the North part of Mexico every Saturday and Sunday they eat grilled steak.  There is also a really big tradition in one of my areas, in the Southern part of Mexico there is an event called Xantolo.  It's pronounced chan-toe-low.  It's a day when they believe the spirits of their dead ancestors are roaming the earth and they dress up in costumes and masks so that the spirits get confused and don't recognize them. They also have dances they do as well.
4.  The hardest thing for me to get use to has been not having hot water haha especially in the winter.
5.  Well I have eaten a lot of strange things, to name a few, cow utter, pig foot, cow tail, cow intestine, cow stomach, pig skin, chicken skin, just to name a few.
6. The cities I have served in are: Tampico, Tempoal, Mante, Madero and Victoria
7.  The biggest challenge I have faced is contacting people.  It's always hard to reach out but as I have trusted in the Lord my fear has gone away.
8.  The best memory that I have of one of my areas is the baptism of one of the families in Mante.  We worked so hard to help them progress and the road was difficult but in the end watching them be baptized made it all worth it in the end. 
9.  The thing I love most about the mission is doing the best I can to please my Father in Heaven and how He has helped me to progress and prepare for the rest of my life.
10.  I know that this church is true and I love my Heavenly Father more than anything.  He is the reason I am here and He is the reason I do what I do.  I know that all things are possible when He is by our side and I know that He loves each and everyone of us.  I know that the Book of Mormon is true and I love reading it's pages.  I'm filled with peace and comfort each time I read it.  I know that serving a mission is a must and that it prepares us for all that Heavenly Father has in store.  I love this work and I love my Savior.  I know that Christ suffered for me and can help me come to the presence of the Father again.  He is my brother and I have felt his mercy and grace.  I know that in this life we need to focus on Christ and the Father and that they are all that matters.  I know that they live.  In the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

This is such a great idea.  Thanks Mom for your email!  I love you!  Things are going really well here, tell everyone I love them!

Love
Elder Cammack

No comments:

Post a Comment